Working as a student
Under Australian immigration regulations, students on a student visa may work up to 40 hours per fortnight (excluding any work undertaken as a registered component of your course of study or training). Further information about your working entitlements while studying in Australia on a student visa can be found at the Department of Home Affair (DHA).
Work opportunities in Townsville
Work experience in Australia can look good on your resume, particularly if the work is related to your study, and it can also help with living costs. Volunteering opportunities are also a great way to learn new skills, meet new people and be part of the community.
There are several career networks in Townsville to help you land your dream job after your studies, or simply help you find a job to suit your needs throughout your studies. A range of part-time and casual work is available for international students looking to support themselves or supplement their income. This is also an opportunity to meet people and gain new skills.
Where to look for jobs/volunteer opportunities
- Job search online via
- Visit businesses during business hours to meet the manager and hand in your resume.
- Talk to your education provider for any student volunteer or paid work available such as Student Ambassadors
- Notice boards in local shopping centres or community centres
- You can find other information to assist you in finding work while studying at the Australian Government Studying in Australia
- Understand your rights while working in Australia – visit the Fair Work Australia Website.